Small-scale LNG services enable industrial companies in off-grid areas to replace traditional energy sources, such as coal, Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO) or LPG, with a lower carbon and efficient alternative fuel product.
A TURN-KEY SOLUTION
Total offers a turnkey solution for small-scale LNG, including the supply of LNG from an import gas terminal, the building and possibly the financing of the satellite installation, consisting of a cryogenic tank, regasification plant, monitoring and maintenance.
Total can also provide its small-scale LNG customers with a number of complementary solutions, such as a hybrid LNG and solar installation with Total Solar, or an energy efficiency study with GreenFlex, for example.
BENEFITS INDUSTRIAL USE
Small-scale LNG offers a number of benefits to end users in industrial applications such as power generation, heat and steam production:
- Environmental: reduced emissions and noise pollution.
- Financial: lower total cost of ownership due to the LNG-oil price differential.
- Scalability: it is relatively easy to add capacity to meet increased demand.
Because of its flexibility, small-scale LNG can be used to meet industrial energy demands in areas of the market not connected to the gas grid. LNG is a cleaner and more efficient alternative to coal, Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO), LPG or diesel, which can be transported by truck to the customer's facility, where it can be stored, regasified and used.
The small-scale LNG (ssLNG) process, step by step:
- Transport: The LNG is transported by lorry with a cryogenic trailer to keep the product as close as possible to a low temperature of between -120°C and -162°C.
- Delivery: The LNG is delivered to the customer's satellite installation, which consists of a cryogenic tank and an atmospheric regasification system.
- Dispensing: The LNG is ready for use, and dispensed from the installation.
- Reloading: The satellite LNG installation is monitored to keep track of quantities, and safety warnings; a signal is sent when it is ready to be reloaded.